Don’t throw away your sourdough discards! every time you feed your starter save them in a separate container to make this sourdough discard brownies! Once you have enough discards, bake this brownies or any of my sourdough discard recipes here!
This sourdough discard brownies are moist and fudgy. Plus you can add more chips, nuts or berries to them. If you check out the photo – I added blueberries.
This is a super easy and fast recipe to make. You will have a treat in 1 hour total, which you will be so happy about, specially during! when we crave a little sweet in the afternoon tea or coffee.
Some of the most typical questions I get below:
Can I substitute the flour in this sourdough discard brownies?
Yes! In the recipe I added the recipes you can use. I either use: all purpose, bread flour or whole wheat. I would also feel comfortable using Spelt flour.
Can I replace the white sugar for light brown sugar?
Yes definitely! just don’t replace it for Maple syrup or honey, as those are liquid sweeteners and the consistency of the brownie will change.
What is my favorite chocolate to use?
The older I get the more picky I’m about the chocolate I eat and for these ones I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips – link here
Sourdough Discard Brownies
- Large bowl
- Medium pan
- Baking Pan 13 x 9'' (approx)
- Parchment Paper
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 300 Grams Semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- 4 units Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Light brown sugar
- 1 Cup White granulated sugar
- 1 Cup Sourdough discards
- 1/2 Cup All purpose/bread or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt fine
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Cover a 13×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper. If there is excess just let it sit over the sides of the pan.
- In a pan over medium hear melt the butter with the chocolate chips and mix to form a paste
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until combined. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Whisk in the sugar until combined.
- Whisk in the eggs until combined.
- Then, whisk in the sourdough discards, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Spread batter into prepared pan, at this moment you can add more chocolate chips or any berry (I added blueberries!)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until depending on how fudgy and moist you like it.
- Let the brownie cool completely in the pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!